A traveling exhibit of entries in the Sakura Manga Poster Contest will be displayed in Little Tokyo this month.
The posters celebrate the 100th anniversary of Japan’s gift of cherry trees to Washington, D.C. using the manga (Japanese cartoon) style. The contest was open to high school students residing in Southern California.
The winners were Tzu-Yang Huang of Temple City in the computer-generated category and Tiana Wright of San Diego in the free-hand category. Each received $500.
The contest is sponsored by the Japan America Society of Southern California and the Consulate-General of Japan in Los Angeles, and supported by the Japan Society of San Diego and Tijuana and The Japan Foundation, Los Angeles.
The traveling exhibit is supported by LELA Terakoya Gallery, Irvine Yamaha Music Center, Japan America Media Association, Kids Project Japan, Anime Conji, and the Sushi Chef Institute.
The schedule is as follows:
• Los Angeles — LELA Terakoya Gallery, 333 Alameda St. (Little Tokyo Galleria), second floor. Opening reception on Sunday, Feb. 12, from 3 to 6 p.m. Exhibit open until Sunday, Feb. 26 (closed Monday and Tuesday). Free admission. Info: (310) 433-2347.
• Orange County — Irvine Yamaha Music Center, 4620 Barranca Parkway, Irvine (in Woodbridge Village Center). Saturday, March 3, to Sunday, March 11. Hours: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Free admission.
• San Diego — Anime Conji San Diego Anime Convention, The Town & Country Resort, 500 Hotel Circle North, San Diego. Friday, March 16, to Sunday, March 18. For convention tickets, visit http://www.animeconji.org/2012/.
• South Bay — Sushi Chef Institute, 1123 Van Ness Ave., Torrance. Tuesday, March 27, to Saturday, April 7. Hours: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Free admission. Info: (310) 782-8483.
• Los Angeles — Japan Information and Culture Center at the Consulate General of Japan in Los Angeles, 350 S. Grand Ave., Suite 1700. Friday, April 20, to Monday, April 30. Hours: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Free admission. Info: (213) 617-6700. For building access and security procedures, visit http://www.la.us.emb-japan.go.jp/e_web/e_m01_01.htm.
An exhibit schedule for West L.A. will be announced soon.