CARSON — The Japan America Society of Southern California will present a talk by Andy Bird, chairman of Walt Disney International, on “Capturing the International Market” on Thursday, July 26, from 12 to 1:30 p.m. at the Home Depot Center’s American Express Stadium Club, 18400 Avalon Blvd., Carson.
Cooperating organizations are the Foreign Trade Association and Women in International Trade-L.A.
Bird is responsible for Disney’s businesses outside of the United States. Reporting to Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger, Bird and his global team develop and implement strategies to increase Disney brand affinity and awareness in key international markets, introduce new customers and guests to Disney’s unique storytelling legacy and iconic characters, and invest in and maximize opportunities in emerging markets.
Since joining The Walt Disney Company in 2004, Bird has greatly expanded Disney presence around the world. During his tenure, Disney has:
– Acquired UTV, one of India’s premier media and entertainment companies, reaching almost 250 million consumers through film, television and interactive media;
– Launched free-to-air Disney Channels in Russia, Turkey and Spain;
– Launched Dlife, Japan’s first foreign-owned and free-to-air channel targeting women and families;
– Increased local production, particularly for television content;
– Reorganized and integrated Disney’s international structure and leadership ranks.
A native of the United Kingdom, Bird is a Commander of the British Empire. He earned a bachelor’s degree in English language and literature from the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne in 1985.
Admission, which includes lunch, is $40 for members of JASSC and cooperating organizations, $50 for non-members and guests.
To RSVP, call (213) 627-6217, ext. 205, or go to www.jas-socal.org. Deadline is Monday, July 23.