BERKELEY — The BCA Center for Buddhist Education will present a one-day seminar, “Over the Rainbow: The LGBT Community and Shin Buddhism,” on Saturday, June 22, from 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the Jodo Shinshu Center, 2140 Durant Ave. in Berkeley.
The goal is to offer “an enduring community that values inclusiveness and acceptance seeking enlightenment through Shin Buddhist teachings” (adapted from Tacoma Buddhist Temple’s mission statement).
The following guest speakers will address Buddhist and Jodo Shinshu doctrinal perspectives on this topic:
• Rev. Kurt Rye (Ekoji Temple, Fairfax, Va.)
• Rev. Gregory Gibbs (Oregon Buddhist Temple, Portland)
• Rev. Carol Himaka (Southern Alameda County Buddhist Church, Union City)
Panelists will include:
• Elaine Donlin, minister’s assistant (Buddhist Church of San Francisco)
• Gary Jaskula, minister’s assistant (New York Buddhist Church)
• Fred Pelger, minister’s assistant (Tacoma Buddhist Temple)
• Hoshina Seki, president, American Buddhist Study Center (New York)
• Matthew Wise, minister’s assistant (New York Buddhist Church)
• Amy Umezu, moderator (Venice Hongwanji Buddhist Temple, Culver City)
There will also be small-group discussions and sharing of resources.
Registration is open to the public. Early discount: $50 by May 15. General registration: $60 (closes June 16). Meals and snacks included. For those who need lodging, some rooms are available at the Jodo Shinshu Center.