President Min Tonai announced that the Japanese American Korean War Vets will hold its 18th Installation of Officers lunch on Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 at the Sea Empress Seafood Restaurant in Gardena.
Sam Shimoguchi, past president, will chair the event, Vietnam veteran Dave Miyoshi will induct the new officers, and Vietnam veteran Ken Hayashi will conduct the missing-man ceremony.
Commanders and presidents of local veterans organizations, the staff at Japanese American Cultural and Community Center, the Korean Veterans Association (Koreatown), JAKWV Travel group members, and the community are all welcome to participate in this program.
The JAKWV again had a busy year.
– President Tonai and Medal of Honor recipient Hershey Miyamura rode on the Korean War float in the Tournament of Roses Parade on New Year’s Day.
– The members participated in Memorial Day services at the JACCC and at Evergreen Cemetery.
– Twenty-two members participated in the Maui-sponsored Korean War Veterans Hawaii Chapter reunion at the Cal in Las Vegas in July.
– JAKWV hosted the veterans’ hospitality room during Nisei week and marched in the Nisei Week Parade.
– To wrap up the year, 66 members of the JAKWV Travel group toured Japan and Taiwan in October. All are invited to the installation lunch for a mini reunion.
“All JAKWV members and friends are asked to make this a memorable event. Our numbers are dwindling and we need your support,” said a spokesperson for the group.
The Sea Empress Seafood Restaurant is located at 1636 W. Redondo Beach Blvd. in Gardena’s Pacific Square. Reception starts at 11:30 a.m., luncheon follows at 12:30 p.m. Cost: $25 per person. Dress: casual.
Make check payable to JAKWV and send the names of participants to: Sam Shimoguchi, 12557 Allin St. Los Angeles, CA 90066. For more information, contact Shimoguchi at (310) 822-6688 or [email protected]; or Victor Muraoka at (818) 590-6724 or [email protected]