Disney’s El Capitan Theatre, 6838 Hollywood Blvd. in Hollywood, will screen Hayao Miyazaki’s “The Wind Rises” (Kaze Tachinu) from Feb. 21 to 27. Showtimes are as follows:
Friday, Feb. 21, to Sunday, Feb. 23, at 1, 4, 7 and 9:45 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 24, at 10 a.m., 1, 4, 7 and 9:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 25, at 1, 4 and 7 p.m.
Japanese-language screenings with English subtitles on Feb. 23 at 7 p.m., Feb. 24 at 10 a.m., and Feb. 25 at 7 p.m. All other showtimes are for the English-dubbed version.
Artwork from Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli will be displayed at the theater.
For more information, call (818) 845-3110 or visit http://elcapitan.go.com/.
“The Wind Rises” is a fictionalized biography of Jiro Horikoshi, who dreamed of flying and designing beautiful airplanes, inspired by the famous Italian aeronautical designer Caproni. Nearsighted from a young age and unable to be a pilot, Jiro joins a major Japanese engineering company in 1927 and becomes one of the world’s most innovative and accomplished airplane designers.
The film chronicles much of his life, depicting key historical events, including the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, the Great Depression, the tuberculosis epidemic and Japan’s plunge into war. Jiro meets and falls in love with Nahoko, and grows and cherishes his friendship with his colleague Honjo.
Writer/director Miyazaki pays tribute to Horikoshi and author Tatsuo Hori, who wrote the short story on which the movie is based, in this epic tale of love, perseverance, and the challenges of living and making choices in a turbulent world.
The original voice cast includes Hideaki Anno as Jiro, Miori Takimoto as Nahoko, and Hidetoshi Nishijima as Honjo. The English voice cast includes Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Jiro, Emily Blunt as Naoko and John Krasinski as Honjo.
An Academy Award, Golden Globe and Annie Award nominee, “The Wind Rises” is Miyazaki’s final film as a director. His other films include “My Neighbor Totoro,” “Princess Mononoke,” “Spirited Away,” “Howl’s Moving Castle,” and “Ponyo.”
“I and my colleagues are deeply honored that the Academy has chosen to nominate ‘The Wind Rises,’ my last film, for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film,” Miyazaki said in a statement. “It is indeed a privilege for all of us who worked on the film to see it get this acclaim from so far away.
“I am, personally, very gratified to receive such an honor, and wish to express my sincere gratitude to the members of the Academy and thank everyone who has made the film such a success. I hope that many people will see the film after it opens in North American theaters.”
The Oscar winner will be announced on March 2.
“The Wind Rises” will also open Friday at the following California theaters (alphabetical by city):
• AMC Cupertino Square, 10123 N. Wolfe Rd., Cupertino; (888) AMC-4FUN; www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/amc-cupertino-square-16
• AMC Bay Street 16, 5614 Bay St., Ste. 220, Emeryville; (888) AMC-4FUN; www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/amc-bay-street-16
• Glendale 18, 322 Americana Way, Glendale; (866) 722-9790; www.fandango.com/Glendale18
• AMC Century City 15, 10250 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles; (888) AMC-4FUN; www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/amc-century-city-15
• The Landmark, 10850 W. Pico Blvd., Los Angeles; (310) 470-0492; www.landmarktheatres.com/mn/thelandmark/thelandmark.html
• Hillcrest Cinemas, 3965 5th Ave. #200, San Diego; (619) 298-2904; www.landmarktheatres.com/market/sandiego/hillcrestcinemas.htm
• Embarcadero Center Cinemas, 1 Embarcadero Center, Promenade Level, San Francisco; (415) 352-0835; www.landmarktheatres.com
• Sundance Kabuki Cinemas, 1881 Post St., San Francisco; (415) 929-4650; www.sundancecinemas.com
The movie goes into wide release on Friday, Feb. 28, including the following California theaters (alphabetical by city):
• Edwards Alhambra Renaissance Stadium 14, 1 East Main St., Alhambra
• Edwards Aliso Viejo Stadium, 26701 Aliso Creek Rd., Aliso Viejo
• AMC Downtown Disney 12, 1565 Disneyland Dr., Anaheim
• AMC Santa Anita 16, 400 Baldwin Ave., Arcadia
• Edwards Metro Pointe Stadium 12, 901 South Coast Dr., Costa Mesa
• AMC Covina 30, 1414 N. Azusa Ave., Covina
• Edwards Fresno Stadium 22, 250 Paseo del Centro, Fresno
• Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21, 65 Fortune Dr., Irvine
• Edwards Long Beach Stadium 26, 7501 E. Carson Blvd., Long Beach
• Island Cinema, 999 Newport Center Dr., Newport Beach
• Edwards Ontario Palace Stadium 22, 4900 E. 4th St., Ontario
• AMC Orange 30 (AMC Block 30), 20 City Blvd. West, Orange
• AMC Victoria Gardens 12, 12600 N. Main St., Rancho Cucamonga
• AMC Tyler Galleria 16, 3775 Tyler St., Riverside
• Regal Promenade Stadium 13, 550 Deep Valley Dr., Rolling Hills Estates
• UA Olympus Pointe Stadium 12, 520 N. Sunrise Ave., Roseville
• UA Arden Fair 6, 1739 Arden Way, Sacramento
• Edwards San Marcos Stadium 18, 1180 W. San Marcos, San Marcos
• AMC Mercado 20, 3111 Mission College Rd., Santa Clara
• Regal Simi Valley Civic Center Stadium 16, 2751 Tapo Canyon Rd., Simi Valley
• AMC Del Amo 18, 3525 Carson St., Torrance
• AMC Rolling Hills 20, 2591 Airport Dr., Torrance
• AMC Tustin 14 @ The District, 2457 Park Ave., Tustin
• AMC Promenade 16, 21801 Oxnard St., Woodland Hills
For more information, go to http://thewindrisesmovie.tumblr.com/.