L.A.-based Hiroshima has announced its 2014 tour, which begins this week in North Carolina and comes to California in May, June, August and October.
Hiroshima, whose latest release is “J-Town Beat,” consists of Dan Kuramoto (saxophone, flutes, shakuhachi, keyboards, vocals), June Kuramoto (koto, shamisen), Kimo Cornwell (piano, keyboards, synthesizers), Danny Yamamoto (drums, taiko, percussion, synthesizer), and Dean Cortez (electric and acoustic bass, background vocals).
Ronald Jackson of Smooth Jazz Ride called “J-Town Beat” “a totally refreshing approach to the genre that offers a different direction for the band in some ways but still maintains the essence of their attractiveness.”
The schedule is as follows:
• Friday, April 11, at 8 p.m. at the Halton Theater, 1706 Elizabeth Ave, Charlotte, N.C.; (704) 774-0375, http://tix.cpcc.edu
• Saturday, April 12, at 7:30 p.m. at The Birchmere, 3701 Mt. Vernon Ave., Alexandria, Va.; (703) 549-7500; www.birchmere.com/calendar/
• Sunday, April 13, at 5 and 8 p.m. at Rams Head Onstage, 33 West St., Annapolis, Md.; (410) 268-4545; www.ramsheadonstage.com
• Saturday, May 3, at 7:30 and 9:30 p.m., Sunday, May 4, at 6 and 9:30 p.m. at Yoshi’s Oakland , 501 Embarcadero West, Jack London Square, Oakland; (510) 238-9200; www.yoshis.com/oakland
• Saturday, June 21, at 9th Annual Big Bear Lake Jazztrax Summer Music Festival, Big Bear Lake; www.jazztrax.com/jazz/bigbear.html
• Saturday, Aug. 9, at Club Madrid, Sunset Station Hotel & Casino, 1301 W. Sunset Rd., Henderson, Nev.; (702) 547-7777; www.sunsetstation.sclv.com/Entertainment/Club-Madrid.aspx
• Sunday, Aug. 10, at 27th Annual Long Beach Jazz Festival, Marina Green, 386 E. Shorelline Dr., Long Beach; (562) 434-0013; www.longbeachjazzfestival.com/
• Saturday, Oct. 5, at Thornton Winery-Temecula, 32527 Rancho California Rd., Temecula; (951) 699-0099; www.thorntonwine.com/champagne-jazz-series, www.thorntonwine.com/concerts-3/earl-klugh-hiroshima