Keiro Senior HealthCare will present “Reimagining Life: Empowering Women for Lifelong Vitality” on Saturday, Sept. 27, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency Long Beach, 200 S. Pine Ave. in Long Beach.
Research concludes that women influence a majority of the financial, health care, and lifestyle decisions in the home. As such, they are important developers of lifestyle habits through the behaviors they display and teach. Women will also continue to outnumber men beyond the age of 65, and it is estimated that 70 percent of women will spend some time alone during their lives.
For these reasons, Keiro feels that women can benefit from a variety of support with issues they are experiencing (e.g. finances, investing, caregiving, health care decision-making, home maintenance, etc.) that become stressors, impacting health and quality of life.
Because of this connection, Keiro dedicates a significant portion of its efforts to focus on women’s health and the impact of women in the home and in the community. Keiro is proud to present its third Women’s Wellness Conference, a one-day gathering for women highlighting the eight areas of wellness: physical, financial, emotional, intellectual, occupational, environmental, social, and spiritual.
Designed to address some of the unique needs and concerns of women in the community, this fun, informative event features expert speakers, breakout sessions, lunch, optional shared interest tables, a marketplace, and other resources relating to today’s women over 50.
The keynote speech will be given at 10 a.m. by Shannon Ingram, vice president of marketing for Caring.com and author of “The Heart Way: A Journey from Corporate to Care.” An avid blogger on topics related to Boomers and aging, she is co-founder and senior editor of BoomerReviews.com, and is featured in the blog circle on VibrantNation.com, an online community devoted exclusively to the influential and fast-growing demographic of smart and successful women over 50.
Conference sessions will be held at 11:10 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. Topics and speakers are as follows:
• “Resilience in Later Life … or How to Have a Good ‘Old Age’” with Helen Dennis, specialist on aging, employment and retirement; columnist, author and lecturer
• “10 Ways Smart Women Build Financial Security” with Alan Kondo, CFP, CLU, president, Kondo Wealth Advisors LLC; Akemi Kondo Dalvi, CPA, vice president, Kondo Wealth Advisors LLC
• “Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food” with Jan Berk, vice president, San Miguel Produce Inc. (makers of Cut ‘N Clean Greens & Jade); Megan Ichimoto, marketing coordinator, San Miguel Produce Inc.; Garrett Nishimori, corporate chef, food service business development, San Miguel Produce Inc.
• “Simple Tips for Ageless, Beautiful Skin” with Shirley Chi, MD, board-certified dermatologist, Center for Advanced Dermatology Inc.
• “Traveling Across Life Phases” with Annette Hanami, principal, Wine Muse, food, wine and travel writer, wine educator and consultant; Roxana Lewis, CTC, DS, Protravel International
• “How Sleep Changes with Aging” with Cathy Alessi, MD, director, Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System; professor, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
At the shared interest tables, conference attendees can exchange ideas/solutions/experiences and support one another around mutual interests or issues over lunch. Topics include: “Long-Distance Caregiving”; “Taking Away the Keys”; “Reimagining a New Career”; “Incorporating Fun with Fitness”; “Social Media 101”; and “What’s the Solution to Mottainai?”
The Marketplace is a curated mix of socially conscious vendors and artisans that will designate a portion of the day’s sales to benefit a charity that supports women. High-quality, handcrafted items include bags, purses, jewelry, paper goods, accessories, and clothing. Vendors include Hands of Hope, Heavenly Treasures, Heritage Source, Takumi Designs (Juliet and Richard Beezley), Tanaka Farms, and Woman for Woman.
Serving on the conference planning committee are Sharon Uyeda Fong, Grace Horikiri, Deena Lew, Lynn Miyamoto, Rumiko Nakatani, Debra Nakatomi, Diana Ono, Marian Shima, Janice Tanaka and Linda Tanamachi.
Title sponsor is The Aratani Foundation. Luncheon sponsor is AARP. Gold sponsors are Kaiser Permanente and So-phi’s. Additional funding provided by the Keiro Endowment Fund and The Takayama Foundation.
Registration deadline is Friday, Sept. 12. The fee is $100 (self-parking included). To register online, go to www.keiro.org/wwc-2014. For more information, call Christina Tatsugawa at (323) 980-7583. Keiro Senior HealthCare is located at 325 S. Boyle Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90033.