Cast and crew members from the murder mystery “Man from Reno” took part in a Q&A at the AMC Rolling Hills 20 in Torrance after a screening on April 4, which included English subtitles for the Japanese dialogue and Japanese subtitles for the English dialogue. Speakers included (from left) director/co-writer Dave Boyle, producer Ko Mori, and actress Ayako Fujitani, who stars as Aki, a famous Japanese mystery writer who goes to San Francisco to get away from it all and meets a mysterious stranger (played by Kazuki Kitamura).
From left: Yuki Matsuzaki, who plays Tsubasa, an official at the Japanese Consulate; Rome Kanda, who plays Kageyama, a dinner guest who rubs Aki the wrong way; and Masami Kosaka, who plays Tatsuji, a photographer who is following Aki around town for unknown reasons.
From left: Hiroshi Watanabe, who plays Hitoshi, a man who is accidentally hit by a local sheriff’s car at the beginning of the movie (Watanabe also starred in one of Boyle’s earlier films, “White on Rice”); Tetsuo Kuramochi, who plays Shinsuke, an old friend of Aki; and Shiori Ideta, who plays Chika, a prisoner who is involved in the mystery.
All of the speakers (including Boyle) answered questions in both English and Japanese, with journalist Izumi Hasegawa serving as moderator. The audience was urged to tell their friends about the movie, but not to reveal the ending.
“Man from Reno” is playing at the following California theaters:
• AMC Rolling Hills, 2591 Airport Dr., Torrance (through April 16)
• Edwards University Town Center 6, 4245 Campus Dr., Irvine (through April 23)
• Sundance Kabuki Cinemas, 1881 Post St., San Francisco (through April 16)
• Roxie Cinema, 3117 16th St., San Francisco (opens April 17)
• Downtown Independent, 251 S. Main St., Los Angeles (through April 16)
• AMC Burbank Town Center 8, 201 E. Magnolia Blvd. #345, Burbank (opens April 17)
• New Parkway Theater, 474 24th St, Oakland (opens April 17)
• Camelot Theatres, 2300 E. Baristo Rd., Palm Springs (opens April 17)
• Digital Gym, 2921 El Cajon Blvd., San Diego (opens April 24)
For more information, visit www.manfromrenomovie.com.
Photos by J.K. YAMAMOTO/Rafu Shimpo