“Holiday Celebration” is the theme of Target Free Family Saturday, set for Dec. 8 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Japanese American National Museum, First and Central in Little Tokyo.
Enjoy a day of family fun and crafts. Sponsored by Target, these special Saturdays are filled with activities giving families unique ways to learn, play, and grow together.
Create colorful garlands to hang for the holidays; add snow and sparkle to your own winter scene and shake things up for the season; at Ruthie’s Origami Corner, fold an origami lantern to brighten the season.
11a.m.: Doors open
11a.m. to 2 p.m.: Make holiday fruit leather pouches with Kidding Around the Kitchen
12 to 4 p.m.: Take fun photos with holiday props by Rocket Photo Booths
1 to 4 p.m.: Decorate holiday cookies with Parties by Stacey (for children only, while supplies last)
2 p.m.: We Tell Stories performs “The Season of Giving”
3 p.m.: The Santa Monica Oceanaires will perform your favorite winter song
4 p.m.: Doors close
• Kidding Around the Kitchen (KATK) brings a “hands-on” cooking experience and lesson in which the kids actively participate in the preparation of recipes. The result of their cutting, measuring, cooking, and then eating their creations is more than simply a lesson in health. They get to see, touch, smell, and taste the fruits, vegetables, nuts, cheeses, eggs, meats, and other ingredients that they may never have previously seen in their raw form. Info: www.kiddingaroundthekitchen.com
• Parties by Stacey has been booking entertainers for and performing at children’s parties in Southern California for over 12 years. Info: www.partiesbystacey.com/
• Rocket Photo Booths is a high-quality photo booth rental service serving the greater Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego areas. Info: http://socre8tive.com/
• The Santa Monica Oceanaires have been entertaining Southern California audiences for more than 25 years with their unique style and barbershop harmony. Info: www.oceanaires.org/
• We Tell Stories is a multi-ethnic group of artists that seeks to educate, nurture, and strengthen communities by reconnecting young audiences with the ancient powers of storytelling and theatre. Info: www.wetellstories.org/
Also on Dec. 8, JANM is sponsoring the Little Tokyo Walking Tour from 10:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Relive history and learn about present-day Little Tokyo with museum docents. $9 for members, $14 for non-members; museum admission included. Comfortable walking shoes and clothes recommended. Weather permitting. For more information, call (213) 625-0414 or visit www.janm.org.