The inaugural banquet celebration for Japanese American Living Legacy/Nikkei Writers Guild will be held on Saturday, Sept. 28, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Miyako Hotel, 328 E. First St. in Little Tokyo.
This is not a fundraiser – just a chance to meet the board members, staff and advisors who volunteer their time to this grassroots organization.
The banquet will include an award presentation to the 2013 Living Legacy recipient, Ansho Mas Uchima, and recognition of past Iwasaki Scholars. Catering will be provided by Tamon Restaurant and dessert by Big Man Bakes.
The Nikkei Writers Guild book sale, free and open to the public, will follow. All of the authors from the guild will be available to autograph their publications, which will be specially priced. Pre-orders are available but pickup must occur on Sept. 28.
The featured authors are:
• Tom Graves, “Twice Heroes: America’s Nisei Veterans”
• Shigeru Yabu and Willie Ito, “Hello, Maggie” and “A Boy from Heart Mountain”
• Vincent H. Okamoto, “Wolfhound Samurai” (Second Edition) and “Forged in Fire: The Story of Hershey and Joe”
• Russell K. Shoho, “From the Battlefields to the Homefront: The Kazuo Masuda Legacy” and “The Odyssey of Mineo Inuzuka: My Life My Way”
• Lisa Nikaido Arakaki, “An Astronaut’s Legacy: The Ellison Onizuka Story”
• Isami Mike Tsuji, “Go For Broke! Me and the War”
• Ansho Mas Uchima, “Seinan: Southwest Los Angeles” and “Nikkei Generals and Admirals”
The late Ted Miyamoto’s “Talk Story” and The Rafu Shimpo’s “Proud to Serve” will also be available for purchase.