Celebrate the cultural heritage of Japantown with a special 110th-year performance by Japanese artists from Tokyo, Chicago and the Bay Area. Featuring Japanese classical and folk dances, Japanese dolls, Okiya style shamisen music and more, in partnership with GenRyu Arts.
Free live performances and demonstrations by:
• Sakura Ren-S.F., Awaodori Kai (San Francisco)
• Gintenkai National Project (Chicago/San Francisco)
• Tsukasa Taiko (Chicago)
• Masato Kawahatsu Sensei — calligraphy (San Francisco)
• GenRyu Arts — taiko, odori and interdisciplinary performance (San Francisco)
• Kokuseiryu Shigin — traditional poem singing (San Francisco)
• Fujima Ryu (Chicago)
• Michiya Hanayagi — Bon Odori (San Francisco)
• Merry Nishimura — Japanese dolls (San Francisco)
Bon Odori is a traditional summer festival in which we honor our ancestors who have passed on and celebrate their ongoing presence in the lives we enjoy today. Dance practices will be held on June 13, 15, 20 and 22 from 6:15 to 7:15 p.m. at May’s Coffee Shop in the Japan Center’s West Mall.
Other workshops will be offered throughout the week of June 21 to 26. For a full schedule and more information, visit www.genryuarts.org.